Equines rely on our caring community to report abuse or neglect. If you have concerns about the welfare of any equines, or suspect abuse or neglect, please do not delay. Take action now. Time is not the friend of neglected or abused animals — the longer you wait, they more they needlessly suffer.


1) Contact your local law enforcement (sheriff, police or fire) and make a complaint. Please follow-up with whoever you speak with to make sure your complaint/concern has been investigated. Get as much information as you can about what local law enforcement is doing with the information you have provided them.

2) Contact the Animal Humane Society. The Animal Humane Society Humane Investigations team is devoted to seeking justice for animals in Minnesota. You can file a complaint by completing this online form or by calling (763) 489-2236.

3) Contact Minnesota Federated Humane Societies.  The Minnesota Federated Humane Societies investigate reports of animal abuse, cruelty and neglect to animals in all 87 counties in Minnesota. Contact them by calling toll free (877) 826-4625 or (612) 866-8663. 

Additional information you need to know:

Be brief: When expressing a concern or filing a complaint, please be concise and to the point with information.  If known, provide the name, address and phone number for the horse owner or alleged offender.

Example complaint: “I would like to report a possible neglect of 7 horses in Cook County located at the intersection of County Road 1 and County Road 2. I don’t know the name of the owners but the horses are very thin and there may be one dead.  My name is…., and my phone number is ….”


Follow-up contact: If the investigator needs more information, they will contact you.  They may not report back to you as there might be an ongoing criminal investigation.


Contacting rescues: Please DO NOT CALL a rescue as they only take in the animals after a case has been opened by investigators when they need to remove the animals.


The Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or gender. The Minnesota Horse Welfare Coalition does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or gender.